Monday, October 18, 2010

Grève's the Word

grève /gʀɛv/feminine noun(cessation du travail) strike

This morning I got up as usual, got ready for my first full day of classes, and walked down the street to the bus stop. I hadn't been waiting three minutes when a kindly french woman took it upon herself to tell the clueless foreigner that there were no buses this morning. Strikers had blocked the bus depots. Feeling helpless and uninformed, I made my way back home to call the high school to inform them I wouldn't be in this morning.

For the past week, the "grève" has been the only thing on anyone's mind here in France. We hear about those crazy Europeans and their strikes in the US all the time, but I was under the naive impression that they only lasted one or 2 days. When I was studying here in 2008 I had the chance to observe only one small strike-- that of the taxi drivers of Toulouse-- and being a poor student I had no reason to use cabs anyway.

So this week has been a new experience for me. It is certainly different to live in a country whose tradition of strikes and protests bring daily business and the national economy almost to a halt. Seeing police in riot gear and blocked streets has become the norm. Buses are being stopped, students are trying to block entrance to schools (including mine), and apparently car fuel is running out.

The French are striking against the passing of a retirement reform bill, which will push the retirement age back from 60 to 62 and prevent people from touching their pensions until that age. As my contact teacher at my school explained it to me, France is having similar problems as the US regarding social security and baby boomers; thus the reform. The bill will be voted on Wednesday. I have no idea if the strikes will continue afterward if it is passed and people are unhappy. I hope not-- I'm starting to get nervous for my flight Saturday to England to see Ken, Dan and hopefully Richy.

For now, the buses have just been unblocked. I will make a hopefully successful journey to my school this afternoon. I know I haven't fully talked about my life here in France yet-- I'm out of the hotel finally!!-- but more will be coming very soon. For those that read french, here is an article on the grève specifically in Toulouse. A tout suite!

No comments:

Post a Comment