Thursday, December 9, 2010

Coffee coffee everywhere...

I have come across a very serious oversight in the French style de vivre.   At first I was enthralled by the sheer density of cafés in Toulouse:  if there is a Starbucks on every corner in the states, there are 3 or 4 cafés fighting it out for that corner plot over here.  But I quickly became disenchanted when I realized the serious lack of internet access at these cafés.  I realize it is so American and so generation whatever-they-call-us-these-days to whine about not being able to check my email and drink coffee at the same time.  But this in fact is one of my greatest enjoyments taken from college days, not to mention I find it much more stimulating when working to be sipping a warm drink in a noisy cafe than to be sitting in a cold, sniffly library.


Today I felt a strong yearning to take the 5 minute walk to the end of Spring Street for a mocha and unlimited wifi-inspired productivity-- and of course the chance to run into most of my college friends.  I am beginning to do some work in hopes of having a plan for next year... the details of which are still fuzzy and thus will not yet be revealed.  So instead of taking the bus down to the city center to work in internet-ready McDonalds (the thought instantly depresses me), I decided to create my own little café chez moi.  I've got my chicoree instant coffee, my dry cereal snack, my computer and hey-- let's even add in a little itunes radio.  I admit it's a poor man's coffee shop, but it's the closest I'll come right now, and a far sight better than working in my room in silence.  Even if I were to find a café with wireless in the coffee labyrinth that is Toulouse, I would feel like an alien sitting there with my computer-- not French chic.  Oh Tunnel City, how I miss thee.


Clearly since I've created this coffee shop atmosphere I've not in fact been very productive, having spent the past 30 minutes switching between this blog and facebook.  Maybe my coffee shop theory of productivity isn't quite right-- though it got me through 4 years of college papers just fine.


When people are far from home, they are always talking about what they miss the most (besides people, as missing family/friends is a given).  For example, it is fairly well-known that other countries, France among them, don't have the same affinity for peanut butter that we North Americans do... because yes, Canadians love it too.  To get a normal-sized jar of peanut butter in France you are looking at upwards of 7 or 8 euros, so it's a luxury in which I have yet to indulge.  I would like to eat peanut butter, but I don't miss it per-say.  When I studied here in 2008 I distinctly remember having one and only one food craving from back home, and it was for a turkey sandwich on ciabatta with honey mustard dressing from the student center at Williams.  This year it is large, sugary coffee drinks mixed with written composition.  But I guess what do you expect when you are living in the food capital of ... the world?


The longer I live in France, the more I realize the similarities between our two countries.  You can get almost anything here that you can get in the US-- it just might be a little different or more expensive.  I can't deny saying every once in a while "Well in America, we have..." but the reality is there is very little that I consistently miss.  Seems like I made my parents and Ken take me to each and every one of my favorite restaurants before leaving for naught.


On the other hand, there are things I anticipate missing when I come home from France.  I plan on living for the majority of my adult life in the US, if for no other reason than the Starbucks with wifi (I kid).  But right now I can't imagine not being able to get a fresh baguette every day.  Or unpasturised cheese  (infinitely more delicious) or nutella for 2 euros.  Or wine for 2 euros for that matter.  


This is just how it goes I guess... you adapt.  Last time I went home I missed the bread and cheese.  But then I had my first Paresky sandwich and all was right in the world again.  And all of this has been a semi-coherent rant on food.  But Food is such a big part of my experience here, how can I not talk about it?  I hope that, if nothing else, I bring home with me from France a better appreciation for good food, and a better knowledge of how to cook it.  For now I am looking forward to Christmastime with my family, and you better believe there will be good food there.  Especially fudge.  Oh and don't forget the Berkshire Crossings Plaza, home to not one, but TWO fully-stocked Starbucks.  And Tunnel City just up the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment